A luscious dessert that will have people asking for more
- 125g softened butter
- 125g soft dark brown sugar
- 150g plain flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150ml Captain Morgan rum
- Handful of dates (Pitted & chopped)
- 1 vanilla pod
- 3 medium eggs
- 250ml water
- 175g Demerara sugar
- 170g butter
- 500ml double cream
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C and line your cake tin with baking paper.
- In a pan bring to the boil; rum, water and vanilla seeds. Take off the heat, add your dates and leave to soak for an hour.
- In a big mixing bowl cream together the butter and soft dark brown sugar. Add the eggs one by one making sure to beat them in before adding the next. Sift in the flour and bicarb then add your soaked dates and mix well.
- Pour the cake mix into your prepped cake tin and bake for 12 mins or until the cake is just firm to the touch. When it’s done take it out and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- In a pan bring to the boil the; butter, demerara, syrup and treacle. Lower the heat and cook without stirring until you achieve a nice brown caramel.
- In another pan warm your cream and add 1/3 of it to the caramel stirring as you go. Once the sauce cools a little and stops bubbling you can add the rest of the warm cream and a pinch a salt.
- Pass the sauce through a fine sieve into a serving jug and you’re done!
Don’t add cold cream to your caramel or it will split
You can put the cake mix in individual moulds but check on them around 8/10 mins as they will cook quicker
Serve with sliced bananas and ice cream
If you give this recipe a go don’t forget to let me know!