Who doesn’t love chocolate mousse! This recipe will show you how simple it is to make and how much tastier it is than the supermarkets.
- 170g Dark chocolate (+70%)
- 7 Egg whites
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 40g Caster sugar
1. Break up the chocolate into small pieces and melt it in a bowl over a pan of simmering water
2. Whisk the egg whites and lemon juice to form soft peaks, then add the sugar and continue whisking until you get stiff peaks
3. This is a tricky step and can go wrong!
Add 1/3 of your melted chocolate into your egg whites and stir in quickly until it is well mixed. Don’t worry about losing the air from the egg whites, that doesn’t matter just get it mixed in well and quick.
What you want to do here is create an amalgamation of chocolate and egg whites that easily allows the rest of your foamy egg whites to join. If you mess up on this step (believe me I have been through it, see TOP TIPS below for the rescue mission).
4. Using a spatula fold in the rest of the egg whites, being careful not to knock too much air out, you want a feather light mousse with lots of volume from all the air bubbles created in the egg whites.
5. Spoon the mousse into serving glasses or bowls and leave to set in the fridge for a few hours.
When melting the chocolate be careful that the bowl does not touch the water, let the steam melt the chocolate gently and give the chocolate a stir as it begins to melt.
If step 3 goes wrong and your chocolate has seized up into a stiff lump, feed it some boiling water starting off with a table spoon and stir it. The hot water should melt the cocoa solids and it will smooth out again. If you need to add more hot water then do so, but only enough so that the mixture returns to a smooth state.
For an adult boozy version perfect for dinner parties you can add a liqueur to the melted choc, try Grand marnier for a chocolate orange mousse.
Why not add thinly sliced juicy strawberries to the top of your mousse just before serving? Who doesn’t love chocolate and strawberries!
If you give this recipe a go don’t forget to let me know!