It’s so easy to make your own jam, I found that out after my first time making this lovely blackberry jam. I picked the berries myself and froze them to see if the recipe will work using straight from the freezer ingredient. Good news! it works and lasts ages.
- 1kg blackberries
- 1kg Jam sugar
- Fresh lemon juice
- Get a large pan, put it on a medium heat and chuck the berries in (Also put a small plate in your fridge you’ll see why later) warm them up till they are heated through
- Throw in the sugar and give it a good stir
- Once the sugar has melted add the lemon juice (this will be to taste, so if you find it too sweet add some more lemon juice until it’s to your liking I used about 3 tbsps)
- Continuously stir and bring it to the boil, you want it to reach 105C.
- To test if the jam is ready to set get your plate from the fridge and drop a tbl spoon on to it and return to the fridge for a few mins. Take it out and gently push the edge of the jam splodge if it wrinkles it’s ready to be set.
- Take the jam off the heat, stir it and leave it for about 10 mins.
- Decant the jam into sterilised jars and leave to set for 24 hours in a dark cupboard.
Make sure your jars are sterilised to ensure no bacteria spoils your jam
Use berries that are just about ripe, this will produce a better set
You can use any berries you like for this recipe, just balance the quantity of sugar you use against the sweetness of the fruit
Jam sugar is available at a lot of big supermarkets