Sounds fancy and tastes it too! A must try recipe for those looking for a nutrient dense and filling meal after a workout.
Salads seem to have a stigma against them for being dainty light dish which is not going to fill you up. This recipes proves that to be all wrong.
A tasty salad is one of the best dishes a person can eat, rich in nutrition and healthy ingredients it is something all of us could do with eating more of. As someone who exercises regularly, this salad is awesome for those needing a protein fix that is far from a boring lump of chicken breast with a portion of bland broccoli on the side. Packed with flavour and easy to throw together this salad is a win win!
- 2 leaves of lettuce (torn into pieces)
- 2 eggs
- 4″ slice of cucumber
- 4 new potatoes
- Small handful of green beans
- 1/2 tin of tuna
- 1 tomato
- 1.5 tsp capers
- 1 spring onion (green part only, sliced)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 7 tbsp olive oil
- First you want wash all the vegetables under cold water. Now prep the tomato, to do this simply use a knife to slice a criss-cross on the bottom of the tomato, just into the skin you don’t want to slice deep into the tomato at all! Now plop it into some boiling water for about 20 seconds, remove it and place into cold water to halt the cooking process. Once it has cooled a little, you will now be able to peel the skin off, remove the watery seeds and slice it into strips as the photos show below. Set the slices aside.
2. Get your new potatoes cooking in some boiling water, they should be done in ten minutes. You can check if they are cooked by poking a knife into them, if the knife easily goes in you know it is cooked. Whilst that is happening you can prep the cucumbers by slicing it half lengthwise and removing the watery seeds using teaspoon and then slicing across the cucumber.
The potatoes once cooked can either be left whole or sliced in half, the choice is yours.
3. Now for the green beans, throw them into the boiling water. They should take no longer than four minutes, you don’t want them floppy and mushy, many people overcook vegetables this is no good as you decrease its nutritional value and taste! Once they are cooked remove them, cool them in cold water and the slice up or leave whole.
4. Last thing to cook are the eggs. Place them into a pan topped up with cold water that covers them by an inch. Bring the pan to the boil, once it is boiling take it off the heat, cover with a lid, leave for 8 minutes and they will be nicely done. Peel and slice in half or quarters.
5. Can you believe you are nearly done?! Something sounding so fancy and it has been easy so far right? A delicious dressing is something that gives a salad a flavour boost, a French dressing is perfect for accentuating this tasty salad. To make it, simply whisk the olive oil and white wine vinegar together, and then season with salt and pepper to your taste.
6. The last step is to assemble all the ingredients in serving bowl or you can plate it. I like to start with the biggest ingredients at the bottom whilst keeping a few aside for the top. This way the smaller ingredients don’t get squashed but can fill in all the gaps among the bigger ones. So, I started with the potatoes, green beans, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, spring onions, capers, olives, spring onion and finally the dressing.
This is by no means the absolute way to assemble this salad, plate it however you like I encourage the creativity!
The fastest and easiest way to peel eggs is under water, give it a try!
Instead of using a knife to slice lettuce, using your fingers to tear it up.
If you give this recipe a go don’t forget to let me know!
Feedback is always welcome