I’ve always wanted to make some American style pancakes like you see in cartoons or film scenes in those classic diners. I’d never made these before and they came out pretty dam spectacular if I may say so myself lol. Please give this recipe a try you will not be disappointed!
- 200g self raising flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 30g unsalted butter
- 200ml milk
- A handful of frozen/fresh blueberries
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Sunflower/Vegetable oil for cooking
1. Weigh out all your ingredients. Sieve the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
2. Melt the butter (Microwave makes quick work of this), now add the eggs, milk, vanilla essence and the now melted butter into a jug. Give this a good whisk to combine all these components.
3. Make a well in the centre of your dry flour mix, pour some of the wet mixture into the well and whisk slowly in the very middle. Gradually bring in the surrounding flour and add more of the milk mix until you have whisked the whole lot into a smooth batter.
4. Pour that batter back into the milk jug you used earlier, give it a little whisk and leave it all to rest on the counter for about 20 mins.
5. Now you’re ready to cook some pancakes! Get a non-stick pan on a medium heat and add 1 tbsp of oil into the pan, let that heat up for about 30 secs. Pour some of the batter into the middle of the pan, enough so that the width of the pancake is about 5″.
6. Leave the pancake to cook for about 10 secs then add your blueberries. You will see the pancake puff up, this was pretty exciting for me haha. Keep an eye on the little bubbles that will appear on the top of the pancake, that along with the surface looking more dry and shiny is the sign for you to flip the pancake. Check the photo for a visual of what I mean.
7. Once you’ve flipped your pancake, let it cook for about 30 secs and remove the pancake onto a plate. Repeat this process until you have used all the batter and have one hell of a pancake stack!
It make take one or two attempts to cook your pancakes perfectly but you will get it right trust me!
You can serve pancakes with a million different toppings, this recipe will create plenty for you to experiment with.
Instead of blueberries you can use any other berry you like, or if you have a sweet tooth why not drop in some M&M’s, Smarties, etc.
If you give this recipe a go don’t forget to let me know!