Do you have some leftover mashed potatoes and veggies? This is a great way to utilise those ingredients and transform them into a very satisfying brunch, lunch, dinner, snack, hangover dish. It’s pretty dam healthy as well! Win, win.
- Small bowl mashed potato
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 medium egg
- 1 spring onion
- 2 tbsp carrots & broccoli (Any leftover veggies you have really)
- Plain flour for dusting
1. Chop up your onion and leftover veg into small dice and slice up the spring onion.
2. Sweat off the onion into some olive oil, then add it and the diced vegetables to the mashed potato. Season with salt and pepper sparingly if you are using leftover already seasoned ingredients. Now mix this well using a spatula.
3. Ball up this potato mixture up into a size just smaller than tennis balls, then lightly squash them down using your palm to create patties.
4. Heat a pan to a medium heat, now lightly flour your patties and fry them of using some butter or olive oil. Don’t play around with them too much or they can break apart.
5. Whilst the bubble and squeak patties are frying off, poach an egg.
6. Plate up your bubble and squeak with your lovely poached egg on top. Add your favourite hot sauce on top of the egg, I find spicy sauces go so well with egg yolks.
You can pretty much use any leftover or fresh veggies you like for this recipe.
You can leave out the egg to make this a vegan dish or side.
If you give this recipe a go don’t forget to let me know!